Newspaper: Trump orders withdrawal of US forces from Somalia
The Wall Street Journal, citing US officials, reported that President Donald Trump had ordered the Defense Department to withdraw most US forces in Somalia, where it is helping fight al-Qaeda-affiliated Al-Shabaab.
According to the American newspaper, the 700 American soldiers will move to bases in Kenya and Djibouti and enter Somalia to carry out quick counter-terrorism missions.
Officials will likely leave Somalia by early next year.
The move, which was supported by Acting US Defense Secretary Chris Miller, conflicts with the path set by his article predecessor, Mark Esper.
Kaa Miller made a rare visit to Somalia last week.
The US Department of Defense said, in a brief statement, that Miller met with US forces in Somalia to express appreciation for their work and affirm the US commitment to combating extremist groups.
It is noteworthy that the US forces’ main tasks in Somalia were centered on training local soldiers. US forces carried out airstrikes against the leadership of the terrorist group.
The US Africa Command (AFRICOM), responsible for operations on the continent, says it carried out such strikes on August 25.