With winter and the spread of influenza and various diseases and viruses, the elderly may suffer from various health complications.
Studies have confirmed that people aged 65 and over develop a weakened immune system.
Therefore, it is imperative to work to enhance the immunity of the elderly to support them in facing such viruses and dangers, and here is a set of the most important advice in this context.
Tips to Boost the immunity of the elderly:
Get a flu vaccination
It is important for the elderly, with the onset of cold weather and winter, to have the influenza vaccine, which helps you protect from exposure to infection and reduce virus infection.
You can also receive some vaccinations under the supervision of a doctor, such as the pneumococcal vaccine, which protects against exposure to meningitis and pneumonia.
Elderly people need to get rid of stress as it affects the immune system, making the body secrete cortisol, which results from stress, stress, and anxiety.
. Vision problems in the elderly and their relationships with dry eyes
Cortisol is the hormone responsible for dealing with stressful situations.
The increased tension reduces the immune system response, which exposes the body to viruses and diseases, and for this, stress must be controlled in the elderly.
Maintain a healthy weight
The elderly must maintain a healthy weight, and this is through following a healthy diet and practicing the activity, and this is because the extra weight negatively affects the immune system.
And be careful to get rid of excess body weight.
Elderly smokers are more likely to have a weakened immune system because cigarettes contain many chemicals that harm lung health.
It also increases the chance of contracting cancerous diseases, besides respiratory diseases, including recurring influenza and pneumonia, and for this one must stop smoking immediately.
Advice for the elderly in facing Corona…
Older adults with sleep disorders usually develop a weakened immune system.
Sleeping well helps boost immunity and improve brain function, which prevents memory and focus impairment.
It is important to sleep for 8 hours a day and to maintain a regular sleep routine.
And you can take a nap during the day that does not exceed 45 minutes, taking care to avoid drinking caffeinated drinks at night to get a peaceful sleep.
Enhance the immunity of the elderly with foods:
When you eat healthy food, you maintain your immune system, and there are some important types of foods that have a role in strengthening the immune system and strengthening it. The “Medical News Today” site has pointed out some foods that enhance immunity in the elderly, including:
- Spinach, which is an important leafy vegetable high in vitamin C and antioxidants, which helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Yogurt contains good bacteria that help get rid of harmful bacteria in the stomach, and eating yogurt helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Eggs are one of the important foods that contain a large proportion of vitamins and proteins, which help to strengthen the immune system and protect against virus infection.
- Brown rice is important for the elderly as it contains antioxidants that help to strengthen the immune system, which prevents various diseases.
- Sweet potatoes contain beta-carotene, antioxidants, and Vitamin A, which helps boost the immune system significantly.
- Eating lean protein is important for the elderly as it helps to strengthen the immune system, and it has a role in maintaining heart health and enhancing brain function, and choose foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids.
- It is important to drink an adequate amount of water daily, and this is because water helps maintain moisture in the mucous membranes, which strengthens the immune system and prevents virus infection.